“In May of 1878, the foundation stone of City Hall was laid. By December 12 of 1878, the first stage of City Hall was complete and occupancy was taken. Teague’s design is a noteworthy example of the Second Empire style, an architectural style favoured for federal buildings in Canada. It is characterized by its mansard roof, rusticated masonry on the exterior, pilasters with classical capitals, and arched window openings on the second floor and attic of the central pavilion. . . .
Just a few years later in 1881, a large addition was made to the western section of City Hall; this addition was known as the Tiger Engine House fire hall. There are no extant drawings from this addition, although John Teague was likely the architect...
With Victoria’s continued population growth in late 1880s, City Council commissioned John Teague yet again in 1889 to prepare amended designs for the City Hall. The new portion of City Hall, which took over two years to complete, incorporated the east façade of the original building and including a slightly protruding central pavilion flanked by a new wing to the north, which matched the south wing.”
“The Byrnes Block is one of the city’s first brick buildings and was built in 1886 by Victoria realtor George Byrnes on the site of Gassy Jack’s second pub, Leighton House — lost to the Great Fire earlier that year. The Byrnes Block had been built to house the Alhambra Hotel, one of the first to charge over a dollar a night for lodging. It was also one of the first Gastown buildings to be restored in the late 1960s by realtor Larry Killam, which contributed to the rebirth of Gastown.”