A series of courthouses were destroyed by fire. The existing Fernie Courthouse was constructed of “fire resistant,” locally produced, red pressed brick and concrete and faced with British Columbian granite.
“The architect's plans called for the use of locally produced bricks for the general work and red pressed bricks for the pilasters on the front facade. The basement walls were to be made of concrete but faced with British Columbia granite.
The steep pitched roof made of British Columbia slate was to be trimmed with copper on all cornices. In the late 1940s, a copper roof was put on, but this was once again replaced by slate in 1992.
While the building's exterior is spectacular, the interior is equally magnificent. Upon entering the main doors of the building, one finds oneself in a spacious vestibule of oak and stained glass. The floor here is a fret-like pattern of tile. At the rear of the main floor there is a private entryway and stairs, which lead to the judge's chamber on the second floor. The public must use the wide slate and steel stairs to the left. The balustrade or railing is made of figured metal and a golden oak handrail with hand-carved wooden dogwood emblems in the upper part of the stairposts.”
Rumoured as a hunting lodge at Salmon Arm for Kaiser Wilhelm, prominent Germans visited the lodge. This historic inn opened in 1910 as a world-class resort. It was operated by Count Gustav Constantin Alvo Van Alvensleben until 1963. It changed hands several times and was raided by RCMP as a gambling casino. Among its many guests were John D. Rockefeller and John Jacob-Astor.